Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Toblerone Cake

The first cake I remember baking from scratch was this Toblerone Cake. Before this, I use to think baking cakes from packets was ok, but it's not. You don't know what ingredients are in the cake and even though they normally turn out pretty tasty, it's just so much more fun and rewarding baking your own cake from scratch.

I baked this cake for the very first time for Gaffa's 29th Birthday. I can't remember exactly where I got the recipe from, I think it was just a random Google search. But I have found the same recipe on Kraft Foods Website. Since the only type of Toblerone available at the supermarket is the plain milk chocolate type, I opted for that instead of the white/dark chocolate Toblerone (which is only available at special sweet shops).



My very first cake! <3


TOBLERONE CAKE:

Ingredients
250g butter, chopped
200g Toblerone chocolate, broken into triangle pieces
1 cup caster sugar
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup plain flour
1 cup self-raising flour
2 eggs, slightly beaten

Ganache
200g Toblerone, broken into triangle pieces
1/3 cup cream
Berries (optional)

Steps
Place butter, Toblerone, sugar, milk and vanilla extract in a large saucepan and stir over low heat to combine. Transfer to a large bowl and allow to cool. Whisk in sifted flours and egg until well combined.

Pour mixture into a 22cm round greased and base lined tin. Bake at 160 degrees C for 1 hour or until skewer comes out clean.

Place Toblerone and cream in a small saucepan and stir over a low heat until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Allow to cool slightly before pouring over cooled cake. Allow to set in fridge before serving with berries (optional).

Yes there is 29 candles on that cake!

This recipe is very simple and pretty fool proof. I normally put the cake mixture into two tins instead of just one, because the first time I baked it I used a round tin and a heart shaped tin for Gaffa's birthday. (yeah cheesy, I know!) I've never tried it with berries, but I"m sure it'll be nice with them or even a scoop of ice cream! Eating the cake straight from the fridge is best, it's quite moist and not too rich. (yes I used the word moist, people who know me know that I find that word weird and uncomfortable... anyway moving on.) However, I do find that the amount of ganache is always too much, even to cover 2 cakes.

I've baked this cake about 4-5 times since, and it's always a hit. I'll be baking it again hopefully on Thursday for a pre/post IE treat - depending how long it lasts along with the Oreo Cheesecake (that recipe to come soon!) I know I should be studying on Thursday instead of baking, but oh well.

So, what was the first cake you baked from scratch and how did it turn out?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...