Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Flourless and Low Sugar Chocolate Cookies


Gaffa is currently down in Jervis Bay, attending New Entry Officer Training at HMAS Creswell. He has been there since his birthday and is not allowed off base until 16 August. So it's been a very long and hard couple of weeks, but I've been lucky enough to talk to him on the phone a few times. Originally we were told that phones would be taken away and no contact was possible in the first 4 weeks. But apparently they've been doing well in training so they get some phone time to call their loved ones :D

During one phone call I got from Gaffa, he told me is mailing address and also advised me that I could send him a care package if I wanted to. Yay! Challenge accepted. With a few suggestions from friends, I decided to bake him some cookies - gluten free ofcourse!

I did a quick Google search and stumbled upon a recipe from Kalyn's Kitchen for some chocolate cookies.  I'd also been told by Gaffa that he's been going to church and getting gluten free biscuits from the chaplin's wife, after the service. So I knew Gaffa was craving some treats since he's not normally one to go to church... but who knows?

This recipe uses amlond meal but almond flour can also be used, but is apparently a lot harder to work with. This is the first time I've baked with almond meal and noticed the extremely high price tag of 150g costing almost $5!! Whaaat?!?! Need some tips on where to get it cheaper from!!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup (1/4 lb) softened butter (approx 113g)
2 cups almond meal
6 tablespoons of natural sugar - I used Stevia
2 tanlespoons of brown sugar (use stevia if you want total non processed sugar)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons cocoa powder


Method:
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees C.
- Place butter, almond meal,  sugar, salt and vanilla extract in a bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Add in the cocoa powder and keep mixing until all combined. Turn the mixer to high to spin off all the batter.
- Separate the dough into about 12 even balls. Use a fork to flatten them into cookie shape.
- Place in oven for 40 mins. Remove from oven and cool.
- EAT!


My mum thought it'd be nice to draw/etch some pictures on the cookies, like a love heart; with a tooth pick. She got a bit too creative and tried lips and a flower, which didn't turn out that well... but its the thought that counts right?!

I have no idea how they taste... I just sealed them up in a take away tub and put it in a box along with a sugar free chocolate bar, (which now that I think about it, probably has gluten in it - oopsies!) a card and some photos.

I hope he likes them!!! If anyone has any other gluten free recipes, please share!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...